Saturday, February 25, 2017

mom



Sometimes I take on the persona
of my mother,
The one who never knew
poverty & insecurity among middle-school peers.
The mother of vacations –
pale flesh, cute fat toes, chubby cheeks, and “perfect family”,
dishes with lids, color-coded and labeled system of perfection,
clothes neatly folded
swim wear, beach toys, and sunglasses.
He wouldn’t keep her at the house by tampering with the car today.
She wouldn’t be insulted at the office
by the old men and the old men’s sons of old money
dominant money of the oil elite
oil, gas, lumber, rodeo.
She expresses her freedom through smiles and “ok’s”
as we wander off with bikes or sand buckets.
Or maybe it was me who was free –
no one to climb into my bedding.
my sister – always cartoons and sodas.


my children crash the waves
sit in the sand
Zane says, ---  “Life is like a wave –
                                       you either catch it or you don’t.”







No comments:

Post a Comment